To act as the nodal institute at national level for acquisition, management and genomics based profiling of indigenous and exotic plant genetic resources (PGR) for food and agriculture and to carry out related research and human resources development for sustainable growth of agriculture
- Management and promotion of sustainable use of plant genetic and genomic resources of agri-hotricultural crops and supportive research
- Coordination and capacity building in PGR management and policy issues governing access and benefit sharing
- Molecular profilng of varieties of agri-horticultural crops and GM detection technology research
- To plan, organize, conduct and coordinate exploration and collection of indigenous and exotic plant genetic resources.
- To undertake introduction, exchange and quarantine of plant genetic resources.
- To characterize, evaluate, document and conserve crop genetic resources and promote their use, in collaboration with other national organizations.
- To develop information network on plant genetic resources.
- To conduct research, undertake teaching and training, develop guidelines and create public awareness on plant genetic resources.